Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Hot Flashes, Hot Flashes...A Poem



By Sharron Hilbrecht
with a nod to Jack Prelutsky


Hot flashes, hot flashes,
I hate you!  You stink!
Your randomness pushes me
Over the brink.

I could be alone
Driving home in my car
Or out with my friends
With a drink at the bar
Or singing in church
With a hymnal in hand
Or lying in bed…
Who knows when you’ll land?

All of a sudden,
My cheeks will feel flushed.
My head starts to sweat,
And then I feel rushed
To find paper, a napkin,
A menu, a check,
Something to fan
the dew off my neck
My forehead, my chest,
And the top of my head.
My hair is all sweaty.
My cheeks are all red.
My shirt is constricting.
I really need air!
I peel off my clothes
Until I’m nearly bare
Then it’s over. You’re gone.
Now I’m wet, and I’m cold.
I’m wiping my face.
It really gets old!

You make me take baths
In a tub full of ice
or kick off the covers
(it’s not very nice),
Or turn down the air  
To 60 degrees
Until everyone’s freezing
Well, all except me,
or open the door of the
fridge for a breeze,
the heat and the sweat
just hoping to ease.

Hot flashes, hot flashes,
I don’t know why
You even exist.
I’m not gonna lie
Menopause sucks.
It really is wack.
Hot flashes, hot flashes,
Go away! Don’t come back!




No comments: