Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Confused

Dad called me this afternoon. We had talked last night about the hole in his roof, and he told me that there was a tarp on it. Then this morning when we talked, he told me there was now a tarp on his roof. I responded that I was glad to know that and reminded him that we had talked last night about it. I thought maybe he had been drinking last night or maybe he had told so many people and didn't remember telling me. Whatever.

So when he called this afternoon, he said, "You know that hole you saw in the roof? It isn't a hole."

I said, "What?"

He replied, "That hole you saw yesterday with the water dripping down the wall. It isn't a hole."

I said, "Yeah, Dad, there's a hole there. I saw the sky from your living room."

He said, "No, it's not a hole. Its got that, what do you call it, that blue thing. It's not a hole."

Finally getting what he was trying to say, but shaken up by his inability to say it, I said, "Do you mean a tarp is on it?"

"Yeah," he answered. "The roof man came yesterday and put a tarp on it. It's not a hole anymore."

I said, "Dad, you've told me this twice already. Remember, we talked last night about it and again this morning. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. I just wanted to make sure you knew."

We talked for a minute more and then hung up.

After yesterday, and all that I did and all that is left (see "And So It Goes...), I am just really overwhelmed with my dad's needs.

I don't know what to do. I guess we are both confused...

No comments: